5. Short-Stevens House
The Short-Stevens House is a beautifully preserved example of early 20th Century Neoclassical architecture. Characterized by its grand scale, geometric form, use of columns and preference for blank walls, neoclassical architecture thrived in the American South in the early twentieth century.
Short-Stevens House, Buena Vista, GA. Photograph courtesy of David Rush, 2016.
The son of Reverend William Joseph Short and Nancy (Wallas) Short, William B. Short was born on a homestead plantation located in Marion County on October 29, 1861. After completing his education in Marion County, W. B. Short continued his education by graduating from Emory University in 1885 with a Bachelors of Art. Returning to his native county, Short taught school while pursuing a law internship with Honorable Morgan McMichael. Upon completing the bar exam, Short began to take an active role in the public affairs of Marion County. Elected county surveyor and then county treasurer, he served one term as Clerk of the Superior Court.
William B. Short and his wife Mollie built the lavish home (circa 1920) on a property located at 211 Crawford Street in Buena Vista, Georgia. Mollie Short, who came from a well-known local family, was cousin to Oscar B. Colquitt (also of Buena Vista) who was elected governor of Texas in 1910. Short and his wife would raise their 3 children in the house with its front portico supported by four massive, neoclassical Doric columns. In 1953 the home was remodeled by Columbus architect T.W. Smith.
Submission composed by Paula Crawford-Corrick, April 16, 2016
References and Further Reading
Knight, Lucian Lamar. A Standard History of Georgia and Georgians, Vol. 6. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1917, pp. 2905-2907.
Ryan, Kate. "Endangered Properties of Georgia." The Georgia Trust. Accessed March 13, 2016. www.georgiatrust.org.